Tuesday, February 24, 2009

R.I.P Fergus McKenzie

I normally title my posts with lines from TV shows, movies, and songs, but today is different. Today is the first time in nearly 11 years I sit in my home totally and completely alone because the family dog died yesterday. I'm still of the mindset to check on Fergus when I go upstairs but you know, he's not there. No, he's not on the couch curled into a little fluffy, blonde ball. And he's not on the brown chair sprawled. And his not at my feet under the computer desk letting out noxious farts. Okay, I guess I can't honestly say I miss his farts, but I miss him damnit.

Fucking diabetes got the best of him and for the last several days his blood sugar has been dropping resulting in not eating, not peeing, and not doing anything but sleeping. Sunday night he had some shakes that I had never seen before and so Monday morning my mom called the vet and I dropped him off there around 9am. As I left work to catch a bus downtown to celebrate a birthday, my mom called to tell me she was going to the vet because in the best interest of the dog he was being put down.

Fergus was the ultimate super trooper dog. He survivied ACL surgery and gallstone surgery (that resulted in over 60 stones being removed) that left a 12 inch incision scar on his already wee belly. His internal sutures from the gallstone surgery tore out and he had to be opened up again, replacing the busted sutures with ones for dogs upwards to 100 pounds. Then his diabetes happened and he went blind practically over night. But NONE of this ever daunted the little guy from loving us simple humans. The mental and phsyical strength that dog had amazed me then and still amazes me today as I type this.

Fergus was not the first dog we've owned that has died, but it is the first time that we've had an animal put to sleep. Back in Arizona, when our dogs died I was never home for it and usually they just died of old age and just never woke up the next day. Being in the vet's office yesterday, with my mom, watching the vet gently tell us how it happens and then to watch it happen was quietly intense. I was overcome with so much sadness it really surprised me. I watched a family member die yesterday and it will forever stay with me.

Good night, sweet prince. Thank you for your love and protection.

9 comments:

Brandon said...

So sorry to hear about Fergus.

Unknown said...

Thanks, B. I appreciate it.

Sizzle said...

I'm so sorry. We're in the same boat. He sounds like a sweetheart. My heart breaks for you.

Unknown said...

Oh Sizzle, you're wonderful to comment. I read your post about Angelou and just couldn't stop crying and then I started my own about Fergus and still couldn't stop crying. I need a drink! Or a nap! Or a nap then a drink!

Another friend's dog passed yesterday too. What gives? I SOOOOOOOO hate Mondays now and forever.

Darlin' T said...

So sorry for your loss. Hugs.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Terrell.

eM said...

w00f!

Wendy said...

Oh Jazzy I'm so sorry. I had no idea.
It was a touching tribute.

Unknown said...

No worries, Wendy. Thanks though, it took me a awhile to type this out. Being all sad and stuff. :o)